 Robotics / 4509
Re: **lego motors?**
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:54:37 GMT

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 BMajik5127@aol.com wrote:

  Hi I built a robot and it wont travel straight at equal power levels? Why
do I need to set the motors at such different levels to get the bot to travel
straight?

Quite simply, no two motors run at exactly the same speed for a given
power level. (Slight differences in the wheels, or flexibility in the
axles will also produce the same effect, although probably much less
noticeable) There's no simple answer, but here are three ideas:

If you're really bothered about going straight, you'll have to use one or
more sensors to actually _measure_ the direction of travel (maybe rotation
sensors on the motor outputs to ensure they run at the same speed)

If you can accept a small amount of inaccuracy, then a "car"-type robot
(one motor powering the rear wheels and steering on the front wheels) will
run pretty straight - but you still need to be sure that the steering is
central.

A more technically involved idea, which I've never heard tried: attach the
two wheels to each other through a gearbox, so that by changing gear you
change the ratio of their speeds. Has anyone ever tried something like
this?

Stuart