 Robotics / 458
RE: MindStorms at Robot Store (Hacking Lego Compatible Parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:53:19 GMT

Here's a piece I could use: a touch sensor (switch) that is normally closed,
with a diode in it. The diode could also be separate, in a brick with
contacts on the top and the bottom, so you can stack the sensor, the diode,
and your hookup wire.

It allows you to build something that can move back and forth (like a gate
or door that opens and closes, or a slider that moves back and forth),
without using any RCX input ports. You wire the two sensors in series with
the motor, with the two diodes in opposite orientations. Now all you need to
do is reverse the polarity of the motor. When the movement reaches an end
position, it presses the switch, and stops the motor. If you reverse the
polarity, current will flow across the diode, and let the motor move. Same
thing happens at the other end. The sensor needs to be rated for enough
current to run a motor, of course.

This also requires hookup wires that are a little more complex. Maybe the
two diodes could sit in a 2x8 brick, with four hookups on top - power,
motor, switch 1, switch 2. That way, you could use standard hookup wires.

Hmmmm... maybe a 2x8 or longer brick with a row of contacts on top, a
removable bottom, and solder points inside would be cool.

Of course, if somebody comes out with a touch sensor multiplexer in a brick,
than we wouldn't need any of these. You can do it all in software instead.

Tilman