 Robotics / 459
Re: What about multiplexing sensors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 19:02:03 GMT

You can:
1. Put multiple Touch sensors on the same input but you can't tell which
one was hit.
2. Put a Light and Touch sensor on the same input and read normal light
levels except when the Touch is hit it the input will read 100.
3. There are a variety of ways to convert multiple Touch sensors into
analog and read the values, but you have to decode it in the RCX.
4. Some have proposed using a motor output to switch sensors, but its not
like you have extra motor outputs to waste doing this.
5. I think the better approach is to build smart sensors that process
multiple sensors down to a value that can be input to the existing port.
Tracking for example; the value from the sensor would be  just how far
left or right something is.
See: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Michael_Gasperi/lego.htm

Stephen Waits wrote:

Has anyone attempted to mux the three sensor connections to expand the
RCX's sensor capability?  Think this is possible?

I don't have an RCX of my own [yet] nor the EE capacity to pull this
off, so I'm counting on the geniuses out there!

--Steve