 Robotics / 6586
Re: MindStorms at Robot Store (Hacking Lego Compatible Parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:25:16 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (CyberUser) writes:
I have some black ones as well, I think its for colour coding - yellow
for sensors, black for third motor. I think I prefer the old grey cable
as its more flexible. Perhaps the stiff thin black cable is supposed to
last longer. On the Cybermaster tractor base with the lift up grab tool
fitted, it tends to prevent the linkage from reaching its full extent.
Ideally, I would prefer to thread the cable through some of that fake
tubing but the 2x2 connectors prevent that. Can you buy the bricks on
their own or do they only come as ready made cables? Suppose one wanted
a particular length?

Anyway, whoever asked for ideas originally, there seems to be scope for
improved connectors but presumably they would be covered by patents.
Thats why the 2x2 connectors are like they are. The sensor component
should have screw terminals so it is easy to fit wires to without
soldering.

I thought about RJ45 type but that needs a crimp tool.

What about 2.5mm or 3.5mm phono plugs/sockets?

Or even the small black plastic blocks like a PC's Reset switch,
Power LED and internal speaker use?

Amos "Long time listener first time caller" Bieler
Look at my address umop episdn and turn MAPSOFF when replying.

Dennis

In message <UdSNqEAkYYS2Ewz$@firshman.demon.co.uk>, Tony Firshman
<tony@firshman.demon.co.uk> writes
In article <QqqhbWADlXS2EwhF@mksftwre.demon.co.uk>, CyberUser <CyberUser
@mksftwre.demon.co.uk> writes
Has anyone taken apart the small yellow 2x2 connectors yet on the
Cybermaster? It looks as if you might not be able to repair them.
Dunno about the cybermaster, but the wire links with black 4x4
connectors are very bad.

Anyone who has visited Legoland Windsor will know a very high proportion
are duff.  The reason is simple - they use a tortuous cable clamping
involving 4 90 degree turns.  I take mine to pieces, clip off the dead
end(s), solder the wires in, and hot glue it together without the turns.

That way they survive.

--
CyberUser