 Robotics / 4359
Re: multi-device output controller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:38:56 GMT

There is no need to waste PWM levels on reverse.  You can set the RCX motor output to
reverse speeds as well, giving you 7 outputs (fwd and rvs)  instead of 3 1/2.  You need
a bridge rectifier anyway;  you might as well exploit it to indicate direction.

alex wetmore wrote:

With a seperate battery box (from 8735 for instance) you could power the
output full time.  In this case you'd probably want to map it to something
like this:
off - off
1 - output 1 fwd
2 - output 1 rev
3 - output 2 fwd
4 - output 2 rev
5 - output 3 fwd
6 - output 3 rev
full - output 4 fwd

(if there is a 7 then you could get 4 outputs in fwd and reverse).
You would get a max of 9 (or 12) outputs, but I think that would
be plenty for most RCX-type robots (I still really haven't had to
go beyond 3 outputs, but I've mostly built vehicles).

alex