 Robotics / 4178
Re: Cybermaster memory limit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:22:03 GMT

Johannes Keukelaar <johannes@nada.kth.se> writes:

This seems quite little. What do you guys/gals think? Has anyone run
into this limit yet?

Indeed, yes.  I've used Dave Baum's NQC to program the Cybermaster unit,
and I quickly run into this limit.

Of course, both this limit and the firmware-imposed limits, such as no
stack and only 32 variables, could be circumvented by remote-driving the
cybermaster unit from the pc. Run a little task on the cybermaster that
informs the pc of any changes in inputs, and accepts commands from the
pc as to outputs. Then you could run any kind of program on your pc that
would communicate with the cybermaster over the serial port and control
its behaviour. Has that been done before? Would/does it work? Is the
radio connection fast enough for this?

I assume this is how the Cybermaster runs in some of the "areas" on the
bundled software.  There is one area where you can program the unit to
drive in some specific directions, perform some operations and so on.  I
don't think the memory supplied is sufficient for such a thing, but I
may very well be wrong.

I would really like to see some kind of programming environment which
allowed for this under Linux.  Perhaps one can make a simple NQC program
like you describe above, which accepts communication from the PC?

And another issue: Do anybody know how to communicate between the PC and
the Cybermaster unit when running Linux/NQC?

Fredrik