 Robotics / 4179
Re: Lego MindStorm for 10 year-old?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:59:44 GMT

I am using Mindstorms and I am 9 years. If you can build well with Lego you can
also build with Mindstorms at age 10. All you need to build a clever robot is a
good brainstorm.

You will have to tinker around the pieces and try a lot of times before it will
work correctly.

You also have to program the RCX before it will work. I have used RCX code from
Mindstorms, Robolab and Gordons Brick Programmer to program the RCX. I always
make a flow chart first because then it is easier for me to program my RCX so
it works. Still, you have to do it many times.

I am the only one in my class with Mindstorms though. And I only just got it
because I live in Beijing.

My projects so far include a Frog (with motors, a light and a temperature
sensor), a Pathfinder 1 Line Tracker, a Weightlifter, a Tornado, a Mountain
Climber, a Ball Kicker and a Paper Plane Launcher.

I am doing a science fair tomorrow March 10, were I use Mindstorms for an
experiment. Here I will prove that W = F x S (Work is Force times Distance).
For this I built a test bed with a single pulley, a double pulley and a small
and a large gear. I programmed it using Gordons Brick Programmer. Some of the
results will be posted here. You can see it later on my Home Page at:
http://www.fischer-mellbin.com/Marcus/marcus.html

Before you build any robots you should go through the Mindstorms training
missions.

My brother Victor is 4 years and uses Mindstorms with Robolab. He needs help to
build.

Good luck

Marcus Fischer Mellbin

---