 Robotics / 4174
Re: Lego MindStorm for 10 year-old?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 05:50:36 GMT

Go for it.  It's never too early to teach good habits.  Although I am
now an adult, I can remember my very first lego set (age 4), and at the
age of 10 I think that any kid with an educated brain can enjoy legos
fully.  It's better to catch him with a constructive interest while he
is still in his "curiousity" years, rather than wait until he is in his
teen years and have less hope of him wanting to learn, IMHO.

But when he is learning to use the Mindstorms set, try to give him
simple, yet challenging projects to do, and help him only as little as
is needed for him to keep on trying.  Such projects he could try to make are:
1) a drag strip that times the runs of motorized drag racers
2) a robot that follows a black line on the ground
3) a bumper car that changes direction when it hits an obstacle
4) a robotic arm
5) a safe with an electronic lock

Of course, he has to eventually think of his own design.  I think that
the most important thing is to make sure that he keeps his interest in
it, and yet not feel pressured into making robots because he is required
to.  Learning how to play with legos at an early age is definitely a
good thing, as I can attest to with my experience with my physics
courses, especially in mechanics.  Also, computer programming becomes
much easier to do when faced with it in an educational environment,
because your child will already have the mindset of how a computer
works.  Mindstorms is a good longterm investment, IMHO.

--
Cheers,
Henry C.