 Robotics / 4175
4174  |  4176
Subject:
Computer controlled RCX pan/tilt webcam
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 08:42:19 GMT

About a month ago I spent a couple evenings building a pan/tilt head
around a Color QuickCam and an RCX, and a few more days building the
necessary software.  It's been operational now for at least 3 weeks, and I
just got a rudimentary web page built for it, so I figured I might as well
announce it.

The pan/tilt head holds a camera that supplies a picture to some webcam
software, which is on the page.  In order to keep traffic low and my
system from dying, please hit 'Stop' or the escape key within a minute or
so of loading the page, so it stops grabbing data.

You can find the page at http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/260cam/

REMEMBER: please stop the webcam after a minute, so I don't get thwacked
by the network people.

I hope to add CGI to control the camera at some point in the future, but
for now it's pointed manually from the C program linked at the bottom of
the page.  Also beware that this camera can rotate to view public areas
and the insides of a few cubicles (primarily mine), so once I have CGI set
up, I may have to restrict control to inside the OGI network, and or
provide a 'privacy' button under the camera.  Suggestions welcomed.

As a result, it'll be pointed at my cube for the next while.

TTYL,
    Omega

         Erik Walthinsen <omega@cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
        Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/
   Video4Linux Two drivers and stuff - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/v4l2/
        __
       /  \             SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - http://www.seul.org/
      |    | M E G A           Helping Linux become THE choice
      _\  /_                          for the home or office user