 Robotics / 4194
Re: Cybermaster memory limit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 23:01:00 GMT

At 12:22 09-03-1999 Tuesday , Fredrik Glöckner wrote:
Johannes Keukelaar <johannes@nada.kth.se> writes:

This seems quite little. What do you guys/gals think? Has anyone run
into this limit yet?

I always managed to run into it in my first projects. :-(
Since I decided to transfer the real "intelligence" of the bot to the PC,
leaving only basic intelligence in the mobile unit, the problems finished... but
not only after some struggle.
It's more difficult than it looks to create a
multi-processor-distributed-intelligence machine :-)

Then you could run any kind of program on your pc that
would communicate with the cybermaster over the serial port and control
its behaviour. Has that been done before? Would/does it work? Is the
radio connection fast enough for this?

I figure it has a 100ms to 200ms delay between the time you ask the value of
some var to the answer comes up, but I'm not very sure of these values.
Better you give some basic intelligence to the unit, like for instants when it
hits a wall to stop the motors in the spot and next wait for new instructions.
If you completely radio control the unit, then it would take some time for the
unit to stop the motors after hitting the wall, and that's stupid.

I assume this is how the Cybermaster runs in some of the "areas" on the
bundled software.  There is one area where you can program the unit to
drive in some specific directions, perform some operations and so on.  I
don't think the memory supplied is sufficient for such a thing, but I
may very well be wrong.

Depends on what you are thinking to do and the way you do it.
I think the area where you draw a path for the bot to follow is completely
downloaded to the bot.

Remember, those 420 bytes are opcodes, not assembler instructions. One of the
CyberMaster opcodes, OnWaitDifferent() manages to compress in 4 bytes something
like to set each of the three motors to a different speed and then wait for some
period of time. This is very efficient. :-)

Laurentino Martins

[mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt]
[http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/]