 Robotics / 3895
Re: O'Reilly Mindstorms Book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:46:33 GMT

Wow.  I can't believe Todd and I actually agree on something!  Is thiis the sign of
a new trend for me?  :)

Seriously, though, I don't care for books bundled with CDROM's either for similar
reasons that Todd mentioned.  The existence of an out-of-date CDROM is not quite as
offensive to me as it appears to be to Mr. Lehman, as I won't *NOT* buy a book that
is interesting to me because it has a CD that I have no interest in (I can always
make it into another coffee table coaster).  The biggest problem that I have with
CDROM's coming bundled with books is that (for programming books particularly) it
encourages laziness.  People just use the code bundled on the CD as is, and by not
typing it in themselves, often fail to fully understand how the software actually
works.  Now I'm not suggesting that everybody become a programmer and understand
exactly how every application they ever use operates, but for programming books in
particular, putting code on CD encourages people to not bother trying.

Anyways, to bring myself back on topic here, I think that for a book like this a CD
should still be included.  There *ARE* people out there who don't have net access.
And until LS120's become more popular, I think that stuff too big to fit onto a
regular high density floppy cannot be assumed to be trivially transported between
home and the nearest computer with internet access.  (Let's not get into stuff
that's too big to fit onto a single LS120 right now, 'kay?)

I'll still buy the book, whether it comes with a CD or not.  I'll probably even
install the software on the CD that isn't older than what I already have.  As the
CD becomes outdated by newer stuff though, I'll probably just end up recycling the
CD for use as a coffee cup coaster or something (actually, CD's work really well
for coasters.  You just glue some cork to one side of it so that it's better
thermally insulated from the table surface and it works great).

Mark