 Robotics / 3887
RE: O'Reilly Mindstorms Book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:45:49 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ken <kengu@credo.ie> writes:
I'd personally prefer if the software et al were on the CD. Yes they will
go out of date but some people don't have net access at home and may not
like having to copy files to floppy in a cyber cafe - and find that some
files are too large to fit!

That's an interesting point.  I wonder what percentage of the 80,000+ LMS
owners out there are net-enabled.  Certainly, of the ones geeky enough to buy
the book, almost all of those must be net-enabled...?

What are the issues related to including a software CD-ROM with a book?

   - Copyright/ownership/licensing issues relating to the software included

   - Increase in production cost and complexity

   - Increase in retail price (maybe)

   - Increase in revenue/profit (maybe)

   - Increase in technical support costs (maybe; if not in actual support,
     certainly in politely fending off silly questions)

   - Pressure to release 2nd edition sooner

   - Harder for stores to sell aging copies?

My $.02 on the issue is that I dislike programming books which come bundled
with CD-ROMs...  I haven't yet purchased one which wasn't weeks or months of
out-of-date by the time it showed up in stores.  But maybe this has just been
bad luck.

Jonathan, who is the target audience for this book?  Is it going to be mainly a
programming-oriented book for übergeeks or targeted more at the average user?
Will there be sections or chapters on getting the most out of LMS without doing
any actual coding?  (Maybe sample programs or a gentle walk through of one of
the high-level VB client tools?)  Is there any use in providing a set of canned
demos?  (Those don't go obsolete like tools do.)

Does O'Reilly ever release two versions of a book, one with a CD-ROM and one
without?  (That would be a happy medium. ;)

--Todd