 Robotics / 3823
Re: RCX IR Messages & Universal Remotes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 20:57:56 GMT

Brandon Blodget wrote:

Ben,

I've been trying to use my Palm III with OmniRemote to send messages to the RCX
but so far with out success.  What was the process you used to train your
buttons?

Hi Brandon,

I've been using the PalmII with OmniRemote. It's real cool. But has
some limits. First off I am using just the PalmIII IR port (not some
addon)
and the PalmIII has a very short range (About 25 feet max to the RCX).
I've
got it so I can control the movment of the RCX motors. I use the PalmIII
like
a RC controller. But sometimes it doesn't responde. I think this is
because
of two things. One, the PalmIII's short range. Two, the Palm III only
records
one 'command' at a time per key. So you may need to set up a MACRO on
the
OmniRemote to get all the commands to the RCX.

Anyway... This is all I did to get my PalmIII to learn stuff.
I ran Botcode or NQC or something with a test panel. Then I had the
PalmIII
sitting right next to the RCX which was about a meter away from the IR
Tower.
Then I got the PALMIII ready to learn.
Then I send the motors on command (Or whatever you want)
and the PALMIII stored it to the key I set up.
THAT'S IT!!!

I've got my PalmIII set up to move the RCX Forward, Stop, Rev, Left,
Right.

Hope this helps,
Brandon Yates
NYC