 Robotics / 3781
Re: Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 12:39:41 GMT

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 07:06:31 GMT, lego-robotics@crynwr.com wrote:

I ordered a "sensor & motor" pack from Gleason Research, and it
came with 4 touch switches. Two of these were simply keys from
a computer keyboard. Looks like they will work just fine. So old
computers may be a source for a large number of touch switches.

Beware. Little to no keybards actually include separate switches.

Most keyboards available today use two sheets of plastic with
electrical pathways on them, whioch are connected beneath the keys
when pressed. Older ones often have a PCB with copper islands that are
connected by a bit of tinfoil when the key is pressed. In fact, I have
only in one instance seen keyboards with separate switches: BBC
Microcomputers used 'em. However, if you find a BBC, and tear upo the
keyboard for this, mail me the motherboard  - and a return address for
the mail-bomb that would deserve .... :-/

Jasper