 Robotics / 3749
    Sensors —The Clark Family
   I am gathering parts to make sensors and was wondering if anyone has a good source for small microswitches ( for tuch sensors) and also LED lights 9 to 12 volt. Thanks in Advance Jim Clark ---...--- This message was sent from Bess.Net, a filtered (...) (25 years ago, 15-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensors —Bill Leggett
     The best source I can think of is the old family VCR. It has MANY momentary switches and probably 5 or more LED's in the front panel. There are two infra-red photosensors and a two sided infra-red LED on a post in the tape drive area. Good Luck! :-> (...) (25 years ago, 15-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensors —Brett Carver
     (...) I found a GREAT source for small switches is inside an old mouse (um, computer mouse, NOT the rodent). I took apart several different brands of mice, and while they had different ways to measure movement, they all used the same type of (...) (25 years ago, 15-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensors via VCR —Joel Shafer
     Don't forget the motor from the VCR. I'm using my old VCR's motor to power the grabber-claw of my robot. (...) -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 15-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensors
   (...) I ordered a "sensor & motor" pack from Gleason Research, and it came with 4 touch switches. Two of these were simply keys from a computer keyboard. Looks like they will work just fine. So old computers may be a source for a large number of (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensors —Jasper Janssen
   (...) Beware. Little to no keybards actually include separate switches. Most keyboards available today use two sheets of plastic with electrical pathways on them, whioch are connected beneath the keys when pressed. Older ones often have a PCB with (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensors —Alex Wetmore
     (...) Old PCs with very klicky keyboards generally used ALPS-brand key switches. IBM keyboards are the classic brand here, but I've had NEC keyboards of the same design, and the old Northgate Omnikeys also used ALPS switches. You are correct though, (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensors —jeff
   (...) Jasper - for newer keyboards this is true - but your probably showing your age here :) Most of the early keyboards were discrete switches (Apple, Dec, IBM) It was after a while that the 'film' switches became available. I've had 1,000s of the (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensors —Jasper Janssen
   (...) Possibly, but I know about that. I was referring mainly to the types of keyboard commonly seen in dump/second-hand shops today. Because, face it, if you have them already, you know about it, and if you don't have them, that's where you'd go to (...) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Sensors —jeff
   (...) Good point, and I had forgotten about those other old keyboards ;) thanks for reminding me. About the bomber/unibomber stuff - I wasn't trying to get you to apologize, but rather was sharing my feelings/memories. Over all as I read your reply (...) (25 years ago, 17-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)