 Robotics / 3452
Re: 360 deg. swiveling electrical connection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:04:31 GMT

Ben Kimball wrote in message ...
Has anyone figured out a good way to maintain an electrical connection
between two parts separated by a 360 deg. rotating joint? Wire would just
twist up eventually and pop loose or tear.

What about an axle with wires running along two of the groves (groves made
by the cross section of the axle).  You could have a two bands of thin metal
sheeting wrapped around the axle.  To each band you have on wire attached
(maybe soldered).  The insulated wire from the lower band would pass under
the upper band (in the space provided by the grove).  By using contacts from
the RCX similar to a motor brushing, the axle can be turned any direction
and still maintain power

            | |
            | |
            [B][neg]
            [B][pos]
            | |
            | |

Vertical axle with two bands [B] wrapped around it.  Wires would run up the
groves; the lower bands wire passing under the upper band.  Wires not shown.
Glue could be used to secure the bands in place.  The [neg] and [pos]
represent the brushings.

LINC