 Robotics / 3232
  Fun With Differentials (was: ok, time for a stupid question...)

Succumbing to peer pressure to acquire a digital camera and put Lego(r) on a web page: I've come up with another implementation of Leo Dorst's adder/subtractor. Mine fits in a single plane and is (I believe) fairly efficient gear-wise. It's pretty (...) (26 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Even More Fun With Differentials

(...) version of the adder/subtractor. It is also about the same width as Dave's, but not as 'deep'. The web page and (cruddy) pictures are at: (URL) you check the web site first?: (URL) (26 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Thoughts on expansion packs please

I was thinking about going down and getting at least one of the expansion packs this week. Is one much better than the other? Or is there enough good stuff in each to warrant buying both of them? Thanks in advance for the opinions. -Kerry -- Did you (...) (26 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on expansion packs please

It really depends on your goals. My wife and kids got me the Mindstorms and BOTH expansion packs for Christmas. The main thing I like about them is the parts. Green and purple bricks and beams are cool. I'm working with my kids with doing the (...) (26 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on expansion packs please

(...) I got the #9719. For some reason, Lego isn't marketing it as an expansion set. It has an expansion unit that connects via the IR port. It will drive 3 motors and 3 sensors. The set includes 2 motors, 2 touch sensors, a light sensor and 700 (...) (26 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on expansion packs please

(...) I got the sports expansion pack for xmas. It was alright, but i think that there are cooler sets to spend your money on. What sorts of parts do you want? If I were spending $50 I'd probably get 8277 (lots of beams, especially for $30) and (...) (26 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on expansion packs please

I asked this back at Christmastime, got many similar replies. I ended up getting 8440 Formula 1 racer and 8226 Mud Masher[1]. I also picked up the ubiquitous 8735 for an extra motor and bunch of gears. My next purchase will definately need to be (...) (26 years ago, 28-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on expansion packs please

(...) Try a few packs of 5229, that's the cheapest way to get them. It's the lego gears service pack, available from S@H I think, in the Unitted States. Jasper (26 years ago, 28-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on expansion packs please

(...) gotta think about that... I just got the '99 Pitsco dacta catalog, they've got a two-differential set for US4.25, but that doesn't have the universal joint that 5229 has. Hmmm decisions, decisions -- Steven | svore at mindspring .com | kf4fbk (...) (26 years ago, 28-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thoughts on expansion packs please

(...) Yeah... Decisions. I wish I had the choice of DACTA, tho :) Jasper (26 years ago, 28-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)