 Robotics / 2959
Re: ok, time for a stupid question...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 05:17:11 GMT

=>Chris Stanley wrote:
=>>
=>> what exactly is the purpose of a differential gear?  i've got several of
=>> them, i've seen them used in various projects, but i've never quite
=>> managed to figure out what they do.

Zachary A. Bourk" <zbourk@san.rr.com> replied:
=>
=>I believe it allows the two wheels attatched to one drive shaft to turn
=>at different rates, thus allowing the gear-motor system to corner
=>without skidding.

That's a common use in the real world.  You can also make mechanical
adding and subtracting devices from them.  Somebody posted a URL with
a picture of a Lego(r) system that takes rotary inputs A and B, and,
with two differentials and a few other gears, produces rotary outputs
(A+B) and (A-B), but I can't find it now.  If you're interested, you
can probably find it in the archives, or I can build one and post
pictures.

d.