 Robotics / 2773
Re: Pneumatic Tanks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:45:18 GMT

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 21:43:34 GMT, you wrote:

Peter Baggiolini wrote

Anyone know where I can
get these individually, or a less expensive alternative?

I detailed making a plastic bottle tank in an previous post on Pneumatics

...The storage tank I eluded to above is made from a 1 litre plastic pop
bottle.  I haven't pressurized it until the pumps bleed off excess, because
I am afraid it will blow.  Take the lid, remove the lid liner, punch two
holes in the lid and awl out with scissors, cut two small (slightly smaller
than tube diameter) holes in the liner corresponding with the lid's holes,
add tubes through the lid and liner... if the holes are small enough they
are self sealing.  I wouldn't recommend drilling the holes because the holes
might  be too clean and not  self-seal as well.  "Pushing" the holes through
the lid improves sealing...

The whole post can been seen at:
http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.build:245

I have heard of people using film canisters, and small plastic pill
bottles... I think anything will work if modified in the above way.

Good Luck
LINC

Linc, thanks for posting that reference.

I was interested in the tank stuff, but was even happier to discover
your micro-moter controlled pneumatic switch at:
http://www.members.home.net/ourcreations/pictures.htm

I was having a horrible time coming up with a compact controllable
switch for use on RCX robots. I had been thinking about reduction
gearing driving a push/pull setup, but knew it wasn't going to be a
very good solution.

Your worm/gear/lever combo is fantastic.

I'm curious how long it took you to come up with that design?  :-)

Now, I just have to acquire some micro-motors...  :-)

Your Mars rover is also very good.

<ICS>