 Robotics / 26288
Re: RCX infra red sensitivity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:41:21 GMT

On 21/07/06, Philippe Hurbain <philohome@free.fr> wrote:
Hi Danny,

Beware - this is a serious warning, as the RCX deals with motor
output, rechargeables can behave differently current wise from
non-rechargeables, and this may increase the likelyhood of burn outs
or damaged components when motors are stalled.

Have you seen real failures using some rechargeables batteries? I believe that
the RCX motor driver IC is really foolproof, and I don't think anything could be
destroyed using various kind of batteries (provided that the 9 or 10 Volts
voltage is not exceeded of course...)

I have not seen them on the RCX, but I have on other devices, where
power transisotrs have died. Its all to do (I think) with the
characteristics under load, and the fact that larger spikes in current
may occur with rechargeables. If the IC has a cutout of some sort,
then you are more likely to see it just stop as oppose to destroy
itself though.

Now the other question is that what other side effects are likley from
the under-voltage from rechargeables? If power levels were just low
enough to under power the h8 or its peripheral components - is there
not a potential for instability and resets? Maybe some of this should
be tested on an RCX, although I will admit to being a little reluctant
to try stuff like this on one of my own.

Danny
--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots