 Robotics / 25991
Re: Ultrasonic sensor interactions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2006 18:15:49 GMT

Hello Brian,

   Specificly, I can not find a way to turn off the US sensor from the
LEGO-provided SW environment. There may very well be some functionality at a
lower level I don't have access to (at the moment), or LEGO themselves may do
something about this (after all, for FLL it will be an issue).

That's easy to do in NBC, and not hard with NXT-G: to shut off the US sensor,
just "use" another sensor type on the same port. Here is a sample program that
switches the US sensor on/off with NXT enter button.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/test_stop_usd.png

If the sensor actually pings 10 times a second...

   I've not been able to exactly measure how fast the US sensor pings, but from
simply (trying!) to count the barely audiable pings it seems around 10/second.
But another interesting fact comes up when I do that - I can hear variation in
the ping rate.

At low level sample rate can be changed - and even a single shot mode is
available - but presently NXT-G doesn't give access to these features

Philo