 Robotics / 25956
Re: A Beautiful Machine prototype and perhaps a challenge/idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2006 01:11:40 GMT

Philippe Hurbain wrote:

My prototype Lego Beautiful Machine can be found on brickshelf when
moderated (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=182772).

Very nice machine, I especially appreciated the windup motor trick (always
wanted to do something with them, preferably odd and interesting!)

In the interests of full disclosure, my original plans were to use
pneumatics.  But seeing as I didn't have any, I had to use something
else.  It was in an email exchange with Cary Clark some time ago that he
mentioned that a "low-tech, alternative solution would be to use a
windup motor. Lego has made a variety over time, and you can get
reasonable power for a fairly long time, and would be easy for your
power source to wind."

Having had a number of the windups from a number of sets, it turned out
to be a brilliant solution.

Steve Hassenplug also had some ideas around motors and polarity
switches, so he also deserves some credit (but no blame).

Standing on the shoulders of giants,
Rafe