 Robotics / 25946
25945  |  25947
Subject:
A Beautiful Machine prototype and perhaps a challenge/idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 21:13:32 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Computer scientists might know of Claude E. Shannon, considered the
father of digital communication.

He is also less well known for his Most Beautiful Machine, a machine
that, when turned on, simply turns itself off.  (A version can be viewed
  online at http://www.kugelbahn.ch/sesam_e.htm )

My prototype Lego Beautiful Machine can be found on brickshelf when
moderated (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=182772).

When a user turns on the machine by moving a switch at the top of the
tower, the motor raises the scissors arm to shut it off.  That's it.

The trick is that the machine is actually off at the end of the cycle,
not just in a low power monitoring mode.

A deep link to the machine in its off state:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/beautiful-machine/dvc00108.jpg

Turning itself off:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/beautiful-machine/dvc00113.jpg

Retracting to its rest state:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/beautiful-machine/dvc00111.jpg

Movie of the machine (approx 15 sec, 3.7KB):
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/beautiful-machine/beautiful_machine.wmv

So, the challenge or idea: a room full of beautiful machines at
brickfest, a room full of machines that simply turn themselves off once
they have been turned on.

Or maybe a beautiful machine as part of the GBC.

Or maybe a chain of machines that simply turn on the next one and then
turn themselves off.

Thoughts?

Rafe

p.s.  Hope I have done the links right (my first post with photos or
links).  If I have failed, please advise on proper technique and manners.