 Robotics / 25947
Re: A Beautiful Machine prototype and perhaps a challenge/idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 21:33:56 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rafe Donahue wrote:
He is also less well known for his Most Beautiful Machine, a machine
that, when turned on, simply turns itself off.  (A version can be viewed
  online at http://www.kugelbahn.ch/sesam_e.htm )

Very interesting, if a rather disturbing implementation. I had heard of the
conecpt, but not seen those vids. The prosthetic is just a big creepy.

My prototype Lego Beautiful Machine can be found on brickshelf when
moderated (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=182772).

When a user turns on the machine by moving a switch at the top of the
tower, the motor raises the scissors arm to shut it off.  That's it.

The trick is that the machine is actually off at the end of the cycle,
not just in a low power monitoring mode.

A deep link to the machine in its off state:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/beautiful-machine/dvc00108.jpg

Turning itself off:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/beautiful-machine/dvc00113.jpg

Retracting to its rest state:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/beautiful-machine/dvc00111.jpg

Movie of the machine (approx 15 sec, 3.7KB):
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rafeman/beautiful-machine/beautiful_machine.wmv
<snip>

I like your version, first its more cute and friendly, and secondly you can see
the workings. I take it that when powered off, the scissor lift retracts again
under its own weight as the motor offers no resistance?

I am just having a thought that the polarity switches could be used to divert
the voltage from the retracting motor to another motor using the "magic motors"
technique, which has much less mechanical resistance to overcome, and is set up
to turn the machine on again, then it could actually be turning itself on again
as well - setting up a kind of amusing cycle. Are you using a 9v gear motor in
this?

Danny
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Building Robots and Communities