 Robotics / 25657
Re: It's awfully quiet in here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:38:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Mike Walters wrote:

The final days of the MDP selection process has turned
the robotics board into a ghost town.

   Well, I'm mostly quiet because I'm just coming back from a set of robot games
in Northern Indiana, where I was only able to enter two robots... and one of
them didn't run at all due to a dead (& I mean DEAD) RCX. So anybody want to
help out with some info here? It's a 1.0, and if I plug it in it will power up,
but the moment I pull the plug, dead. The impact was on the left rear corner,
and flattened the ABS slightly.
   So my conclusion is I screwed up something in the battery power section, but
*not* (at least obviously) in the motherboard or AC adaptor. Any ideas? Do I
open it (and if so, how)?

   As to the games, I took third in line-following, but I hate that stupid
bloody NEIRG maze - even if my robot had been working, it wouldn't have done
well. But the LafLRC 3T robots (they play Tic-Tac-Toe) were a really big hit
with kids and adults alike, and LEGO sumo was fun for all. A LOT of kids in the
stock RIS class, and some very nice entries in the LEGO open class, although I
missed most of it, watching kids play with the Tic-Tac-Toe 'bots.

Brian, the battery clips are soldered onto the RCX's main board. A good solid
jolt might have managed to unsolder one of them, or crack the corner of the
board.

JB