 Robotics / 25634
  The NXT bit of information...

OK, yeah, that was a teaser. But in case you haven't, take a look at this LEGO site: (URL) a lot of interesting things here, in a very finished-looking form. Some strong hints on the motor encoders and how easy they are to use (but nothing (...) (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) According to that site: "There’s also an A/C plug in the battery to allow the NXT brick to run from a direct power supply when needed." That tells me, I'm gonna be buying the MINDSTORMS Education NXT instead of the retail one. (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) I'll be surprised if the rechargable battery isn't available as a separate item through LEGO Education. ROSCO (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) Yes, the article indicates the battery will be sold seperately (so it should be safe to get a retail set the moment they hit the shelves :) I was surprised at something in the article though - it says that both the existing touch sensors and (...) (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) I am somewhat disappointed by the light sensor with its single IR LED. The "color" sensitivity hype made me think that at least 2 different color lightings were available. Of course the possibility of turning off the Led is a great (...) (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) ---...--- The 1400 mAh lithium battery more than replaces AA batteries that run down quickly and cost so much to replace – it has a minimum capacity of 670% of 6 AA batteries ---...--- Rechargeable batteries are great, but what about capacity? (...) (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) Yes. The existing touch sensors are just switches--they give you on and off. Peter (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) Not exactly. You can get a range of values out of a single RIS touch sensor by varying how hard you press on it... but it's a really small rnage of pressures over which it varies. Hook a touch sensor up to a port configured for a raw value, (...) (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) Indeed, see (URL) (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) lego axle? (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) No, it's a regular part: (URL) exists 4L (URL) nuts: (URL) (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) Ergh, Take a close look at some of the pictures to found online. The LED isn't IR, its a regular old red LED. JB (18 years ago, 23-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) You are right, John! I was fooled by their text description: "It is also possible to turn off the infrared light source that is located below the sensor(...) " Philo (18 years ago, 24-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) I imagine there is a fair chance the RCX IR sensor can see the red LED, it just wouldn't register as brightly, so the range would be greatly reduced. LEDs can have a pretty narrow spectra, but sensors generally just have more of an "optimum" (...) (18 years ago, 24-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The NXT bit of information...

(...) The 38kHz receiver module in the RCX is also encased in IR filter material :( However, the real trick will be getting the sensor's LED to turn on and off at 38kHz. You will have to change the LED state every 13uS with good accuracy in order to (...) (18 years ago, 24-Feb-06, to lugnet.robotics)