 Robotics / 25637
Re: The NXT bit of information...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 04:16:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Tim Byrne wrote:

According to that site: "There’s also an A/C plug in the battery to allow the
NXT brick to run from a direct power supply when needed."

That tells me, I'm gonna be buying the MINDSTORMS Education NXT instead of the
retail one.

I'll be surprised if the rechargable battery isn't available as a separate item
through LEGO Education.

Yes, the article indicates the battery will be sold seperately (so it should be
safe to get a retail set the moment they hit the shelves :)

I was surprised at something in the article though - it says that both the
existing touch sensors and the NXT ones are either full on or full off, when I
remember the existing ones as analogue, allowing you to detect the amount of
depression (pressure), not just whether some mechanical switching threshold has
been reached. Am I mis-remembering? Is the article maybe a deliberate
oversimplification made for PR purposes? (ie educational sets are unlikely to be
used in any mode other than boolean on/off, so don't worry your pretty little
heads about how it works). AFAIK the pressure sensors are the same as the retail
sets, which I thought were analogue. Am I on crack?