 Robotics / 25245
Re: connecting 2 nxt bricks, low-tech
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:58:56 GMT

On 11/01/06, Brian Davis <brdavis@iusb.edu> wrote:
   On a sinple level, I'd like to get two NXT bricks to "sing" to each other.
With a microphone (and some error checking and correction) this becomes
another
fun "low tech" way to have two (or more?) NXTs interact, and unlike BT or IR,
kid can sense that the communication is ocuring just by listening.
   Heck, if you're good enough at whistling or clicking your tongue... maybe
   we
could sing commands to our robots?

This would be very, very cool. Especially if we can start to get "Star
Wars" style beeps and clicks, and get them to mean something to the
bots.

In lugnet.robotics, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:
But what interests me as well is could I connect this with
my existing RCX, Spybotix or Cybermaster bricks?

   Well, they can all make noise, so they could at least talk to the NXT
   through
its sound sensor. The question is the reverse link (how to get an NXT to talk
something without BT). If you were content for a physical link, mount a code
wheel (color wheel) on a NXT motor and use a "old style" light sensor to read
it's position. Heck, now that I think about it, this even allows two-way
communication: have the RCX (or other) drive the code wheel as well. Without a
rotation sensor (although the Cybermaster has that too, right?) the
positioning
wouldn't be as exact, but it might work.

Hehe - that could actually work well, and look quite interesting - if
I remember correctly, R2 units in star wars seemed to use some kind of
rotary communication system, and beeps/whistles - thats your return
path sorted.

although the Cybermaster has that too, right?
If I remember - doesnt the Cybermaster have very basic odometry in the
motor/wheel outlets? Which would put it not quite on par with the NXT
servo style, but might help here.

This idea really grows on me.
--
Danny Staple MBCS