 Robotics / 25103
Re: connecting 2 nxt bricks, low-tech
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:38:53 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, danny staple <orionrobots@gmail.com> wrote:

i mean all it is is just sending voltages from one end to another,
any ideas anyone?

   Well, RCXs have been interconnected via input and output ports (or even input
to input ports), so I think it's likely. But if we have Bluetooth (faster, more
secure, doesn't require a physical connection, and address multiple objects),
why not use that?

   On a sinple level, I'd like to get two NXT bricks to "sing" to each other.
With a microphone (and some error checking and correction) this becomes another
fun "low tech" way to have two (or more?) NXTs interact, and unlike BT or IR, a
kid can sense that the communication is ocuring just by listening.
   Heck, if you're good enough at whistling or clicking your tongue... maybe we
could sing commands to our robots?

But what interests me as well is could I connect this with
my existing RCX, Spybotix or Cybermaster bricks?

   Well, they can all make noise, so they could at least talk to the NXT through
its sound sensor. The question is the reverse link (how to get an NXT to talk to
something without BT). If you were content for a physical link, mount a code
wheel (color wheel) on a NXT motor and use a "old style" light sensor to read
it's position. Heck, now that I think about it, this even allows two-way
communication: have the RCX (or other) drive the code wheel as well. Without a
rotation sensor (although the Cybermaster has that too, right?) the positioning
wouldn't be as exact, but it might work.

--
Brian Davis