 Robotics / 25244
Re: NXT and FLL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:47:28 GMT

On Sat, January 14, 2006 4:39 am, Dean Hystad wrote:
My questions are mostly directed to Steve H. because I believe that he has more
FLL experience than the other MUP's (sorry if I'm wrong guys).  I'm wondering
what your thoughts are on how NXT is going to affect FLL.

Dean,

It turns out I'm free to talk about almost all this stuff, because I haven't talked
with LEGO about any of it.

but
my initial impression of NXT is going to make it much easier to build decent
robots for FLL.  By decent I mean robots that can accurately and reliably
navigate, almost all that is needed to score well in most recent FLL challenges.

Yes, I also think having a rotation sensor build into the motor will make it easier
to navigate.

So how do you think NXT will change the FLL challenges?

This is a big question.  I would not want to undertake the task of trying to create
a challenge that is good for both the NXT and the RCX.  But, it would be
interesting.

How will the ultrasonic sensor play in FLL?  I haven't played around with them
for almost 20 years, but remember there being interference problems when
multiple sensors are used.  Is this true?  And if that is true, then does that
eliminate this very cool sensor from use in FLL competitions?

This gives the teams the option of using a really cool sensor that may work, or not...

I'm also a little sad to see how much mechanism the new motors hide from the
user.  The new motor probably has approprate speed and torque for FLL uses, so
teams won't have as much need for gears.  That's depressing

I totally agree.

Steve