 Robotics / 2510
2509  |  2511
Subject:
IR Line of Sight (was: Re: Fw: RcxCC Joystick controls)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:16:14 GMT

I've had pretty good results by elevating the IR Tower (it stands on the
computer desk), pointing the IR Tower toward the center of the room, and
mounting the RCX so that its IR port is pointing up (make sure it is the
highest point on the robot).

I've been able to drive around the room, even when I don't have direct line
of sight.  It seems to work up to at least 10-12 feet away in this
configuration, and you can turn the robot around in circles without
introducing any directional problems.   I must be getting good reflections
from the ceiling / walls / or other objects in the room.

Make sure that you set both ends of the IR connection to long-range, and
avoid driving under tables or couches!

Don Hewitt