 Robotics / 24956
Re: Mindstorms NXT programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:28:18 GMT

Hi William,

William Grant <tanarrifujitsu@optusnet.com.au> writes:

It is unlikely that Java would be an option, as implementing a Java VM
would create massive overhead.

I'm pretty sure the official language also uses a VM like
on RCX and Spybots, so there you have your "massive overhead".

Lejos is a good approximation of a Java VM in the RCX,
and the NXT has 2 to 10 times as much memory depending on
what you can do with the flash part.
Even on the RCX speed is not a big issue, memory is the problem,
so the NXT will be a huge improvement.

Java is not ideal for low powered, embedded devices.
C would not require any VM, as it is compiled into native machine code.

C is not ideal for human programmers :-)

I'm sure there will be plenty of languages to play with on the NXT.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>
http://www.jstuber.net/