 Robotics / 24967
Re: Mindstorms NXT programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 19:29:51 GMT

Hi Brian,

"Brian Davis" <brdavis@iusb.edu> writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Juergen Stuber wrote:

Even on the RCX speed is not a big issue,...

Actually, when using the standard firmware speed is very much a
concern with the RCX for me... and others, if things like the
Swan firmware are anything to go by. Currently, using NQC, I
need to examine the bytecode generated to try to maximise
execution speed or use custom "nop" commands to subtly slow
things down. Execution and sensor polling speed is a very big
issue for some things, and I hope the NXT is at least a little
bit faster (hopefully, 10x).

On the RCX Lejos is about that much faster than the standard firmware,
and we have 1ms timer resolution.

I do OK on the RCX now, but it usually imvolves bit manipulation to
punch enough data into the integer variables. I'd love it if some bitwise
operators were availible, to stretch the memory, and increase the speed.

You also get those in Lejos, and compared to NQC it can access more memory.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>
http://www.jstuber.net/