 Robotics / 24683
24682  |  24684
Subject:
New contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:28:14 GMT

Message text written by Mr S

So, in the interests of those of us who are
interested, I suggest that we all compete in a new
contest,
and goal of the first contest is simple:
"Don't get stuck behind the couch"
What do you think about such an 'event'?
Is it worth doing?

Hmm, your suggestion seems to have been met with a deafening silence.

Does eveyone think it's too hard? Too easy? Pointless?

5 - Your robot must be autonomous,
not permissable to link your robot
to another pc

I'm not sure this rule is neccessary but it does little harm. I expect that
most of the "Don't get stuck" algorithms won't need tremendous computing
power. But if someone solves the coms problems and comes up with a
wonderful algorithm that involves taking bearings off the ceiling lights
and building a 3D model of the room then well done.

And I think the "human interaction" parts are superfluous and may distract
from the "Don't get stuck behind the couch" aspect. If the robot discourses
at length about the merits of cubism but only drives around in little
circles in a big open space then it shouldn't  score highly for not getting
stuck.

Otherwise I think all your suggested rules are good.

Peter