 Robotics / 24718
Re: New contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 20:46:29 GMT

I take it you are thinking about using the CMUCam or some similar
system with some level of intelligence on board the camera processor.
After all -you are really not going to be able to shift the amount of
data required to process on board the RCX, and I very much doubt the
RCX has anywhere near the amount of power requried to do any image
processing on board. I am sure something like striplight direction may
be acheivable with a very simple low-resoltuion CCD though.
In fact, a 4 x 4 grid of photosensors could give you orientation,
though not position info. Couple that with the I2C interface, and a
good striplight - and you have a basic starting point.

Taking it furthar - you could go for a triangle of three bright point
lights, and try those with the 4x4 grid - you may be able to infer
position as well as orientation if you go for an irregular triangle
shape.

With a couple of IR transmitter beacons - that is something the Spybot
brick is maybe quite suitable for. I have considered coupling my
spybot with the RCX to use its position sensing IR.
--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots