 Robotics / 24686
Re: New contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 18:19:09 GMT

Peter,
Yes, the silence was pretty loud on this. Oh well.
Whether anyone else attempts it, I'm going to.

I'll agree that rule 5 is made optional: fully
self-contained autonomous operation gains extra
points, but tethered (by any means, copper, IR, RF
etc.) is an accepted configuration.

Item 7 points are for extra credit rather than hard
requirements.

Yes, this will be my goal for next year, competition
or not, including don't get stuck in the kitchen
table/chair legs etc. My goal is to navigate all
'typical' household obstacles expertly. We'll see how
it works out :)

Optimism is a great starting point for a project

Cheers

--- PeterBalch <PeterBalch@compuserve.com> wrote:

Message text written by Mr S

So, in the interests of those of us who are
interested, I suggest that we all compete in a new
contest,
and goal of the first contest is simple:
"Don't get stuck behind the couch"
What do you think about such an 'event'?
Is it worth doing?

Hmm, your suggestion seems to have been met with a
deafening silence.

Does eveyone think it's too hard? Too easy?
Pointless?

5 - Your robot must be autonomous,
not permissable to link your robot
to another pc

I'm not sure this rule is neccessary but it does
little harm. I expect that
most of the "Don't get stuck" algorithms won't need
tremendous computing
power. But if someone solves the coms problems and
comes up with a
wonderful algorithm that involves taking bearings
off the ceiling lights
and building a 3D model of the room then well done.

And I think the "human interaction" parts are
superfluous and may distract
from the "Don't get stuck behind the couch" aspect.
If the robot discourses
at length about the merits of cubism but only drives
around in little
circles in a big open space then it shouldn't  score
highly for not getting
stuck.

Otherwise I think all your suggested rules are good.

Peter

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com