 Robotics / 24641
Re: Custom Sensor poll (Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:09:13 GMT

On Fri, December 2, 2005 3:34 pm, Brian Davis wrote:
I think the question is when would the average "LEGO purist"
consider custom sensors to be acceptable. *Personally*, I would say two factors
would be required:
   2) It should be commonly availible. Any time I want a LEGO light sensor, I
can order one (assuming I have the $$$). The hurdle for someone to utilize or
extend a creation is raised if they are using a hard-to-find part or sensor. I
admit this is more of a continuum - after all cybermaster sensors are certainly
LEGO, but I could get an input multiplexer from several source faster and
cheaper.

Yes, this is a quirky little requirement.  Common "LEGO Only" rules allow sensors
that stopped being produced several years ago, and were only sold in England.  Or
gears that haven't been produced for over 20 years.  But they don't allow brand new
sensors that could be delivered to your house before next Friday, unless they come
directly from LEGO.

If a sensor manufacturer goes out of business, are their sensors removed from the
"LEGO Approved" list, or are they treated like other LEGO products, where they are
on the list for life?

Steve