 Robotics / 24637
Re: Custom Sensor poll (Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 18:59:31 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:

>> The counter argument to all that, is those rare lego parts, or country
>> specific ones that are not easily obtained. Hypothetically, what is the
>> difference between me (being in Canada) getting cybermaster touch
>> sensors from Bricklink.com, and someone else getting a custom sensor
>> from John? Both are obtainable via the web. Why is one more "legal" than
>> the other?
>

> Right.  For C$ (connect four competition) I bought a handful of
cybermaster touch
> sensors off the web, because I couldn't use a
touch-sensor-multiplexer that I have,
> because it was not sold by LEGO.

I know.  We let someone use an IR (IIRC) sensor once, but the person was
more than willing to swap it out for a OEM LEGO light sensor with
reduced capabilities.  We new it was a hassle to swap out the sensor,
and we knew that by design this robot had a good chance of beating
everyone else hands down. It was allowed. That one incident is still
brought up every now and then.

In this case it was a lot like the LEGO string / LEGO ruberband
argument. Should you only allow LEGO string, or would a suitable
replacement be allowed.

A lot of our debate and "day of" decisions get solved with a shrug and
the understanding that we play for bragging rights, not any real prize.

So, much like "cheating,"  (which we once saw someone do years ago) if
you do it and win, then hey, you won "bragging rights" by breaking the
stated rules, or cheating.

In your specific case with the multiplexer, if you showed up with it
already installed, AND were willing to swap it out for cybermaster touch
sensors, then it probably would have been allowed.  If the rules state
only lego, and a purchase has to be made, then err on the side of only lego.

FWIW, Rob, has shown us the "trick" to stack lego lamps on a sensor to
offer varied resistance to separate sensors.  This is a great example of
how the Lego community as a whole has gained by not allowing custom
parts.  What other combination of parts is an "all lego solution" that
we have not yet come across? Do we risk never finding out because it
would be easier to use a Sharp IR distance range sensor?

>> Now, with that being said, your "what if" idea of an "authorized" lego
>> part not manufactured by lego, puts a whole new twist to the above
>> arguments.   Essentially your "what if" IMHO would by definition extend
>> the  lego product line.
>

> So, exactly what IS required to extend the LEGO product line?  Is it
enough for TLG
> to say this product and/or company meets TLG's standard?
>
> Steve

Well, again, IMO, I think the finished product of the third party
supplier would have to have the look and feel of a OEM Lego product.

Much like somewhere else, it was pointed out that LEGO does not make
watches, (or pens) but they are in the product lineup.

It would not be enough to have a protoboard, or "bare wire" project as
an "authorized" sensor. To me, the idea of a LEGO blessing would be to
extend the sensor product line to a niche market (us), filled by small
companys who do quality, not quantity production.

Like the pens, and watches, if the third party item was actually
sold/carried by LEGO, I think that would also go a long way towards
purists acceptance.

Clear as mud?

Chris