 Robotics / 24632
Re: Custom Sensor poll (Re: Mindstorms on Slashdot)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:13:07 GMT

Many people in the LEGO community are "LEGO Purists".  If LEGO did
give
a company or product a "LEGO Approved" stamp, would you use it,
knowing
it wasn't actually made/sold by LEGO?

Would such parts be "legal" in "Mindstorms Only" contests?

If not, what's required to make them legal?

If the intent of "official" or "legal" parts lists is to level the
playing field, so that it's the skill of the builder, rather than the
list of parts, that wins the contest, then a simple declaration by the
contest organizers would seem to be sufficient.

Where it gets a bit murkey is if the contest doesn't supply the parts,
but requires the teams to buy their own.  If an "official" part makes
the robot more likely to succeed, but is so expensive that only one team
can afford it, then it probably shouldn't be considered for that
competition unless the organizers are willing to purchase one for, or
lend one to, each of the participants.

I for one would be willing to use non-LEGO parts in my own models if I
could be assured that the quality was worth it.  Note that that doesn't
mean they necessarily have to "LEGO approved", but I have to know that
they work with and won't break or burn out any of my other stuff.  An
official stamp of approval from TLC would likely serve that purpose.

The only thing that keeps me from using some of the current non-LEGO
sensors at the moment is the cost.

Brad