 Robotics / 24576
  Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

For Christmas I'm setting up a LEGO train on top of a narrow wall, so it has to operate like a shuttle -- stop at each end and reverse motor direction. My first attempt had a train regulator attached to a polarity switch, with the switch being (...) (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

Jordan Bradford wrote: > Is this going to work? One of the most important things with light sensors is calibrating the threshold level. What works the first time you try it will likely fail when you run it at different times of the day and with room (...) (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) If the rcx is on the train why not mount touch sensors on the underside looking down. You could then attach small ramps to the track which would trigger the sensor. If you put the sensors on a spring loaded mounting you shouldn't have problems (...) (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, FTX)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) Speaker wire and small alligator clips will make a dandy solution for extending the basic wires - after all, you really only need one very long wire here (to the "remote station"), and yoiu have a working set-up. (...) Have you built and (...) (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, FTX)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) That was basically my plan if I couldn't get the light sensors to work reliably. Based on Brian's post I might go back to my original design, though. (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, FTX)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) I wanted the layout to be pure LEGO, but if I run out of time building this I'll break down and use non-LEGO wire and my original setup. (...) I wasn't worried about hiding the RCX, but I have seen the batteries run down very quickly. In the (...) (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, FTX)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) For future, LEGO's educational division does sell 3m LEGO wires. (...) A 1.0 RCX that allows you to power the setup from an outlet is ideal for this. If it ends up being battery-based, you will have to adjust the power level as the batteries (...) (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

Brian Davis wrote..... ...... Worse yet, when the power runs low the RCX is likely to corrupt the firmware unless you put in code to monitor the battery level (something I'd suggest if you go this route). Standard Lego firmware is designed to detect (...) (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) Wow! That's quite a long cable. Is this the right product? I only found it using Pitsco's search box; it's not listed in any LEGO section as far as I could tell. (URL) (...) My original setup's RCX is a 1.0 with the AC adapter. The rails are (...) (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, FTX)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) And I've never had a problem with low battery firmware corruption... EXCEPT at BF while running the GBC trains. How often does the firmware check the battery level (it seems to be less often than the 3ms the other sensors are polled, based on (...) (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) That would solve my current umbilical problems. At that length I'd actually be encouraged to shell out some spondulics. Steve (19 years ago, 28-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) I got to try my program tonight. It wouldn't compile, claiming EVENTTYPEHIGH and EVENTTYPEPRESSED were undefined. Eventually I figured out that I had to set the target flag -TRCX2. My compilation command is getting more and more complicated: (...) (19 years ago, 29-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, FTX)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) Not to my knowledge. (...) Yes. The internal hardware between the 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 bricks is identical with regards to the firmware, so any firmware will work on any RCX. (19 years ago, 29-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, FTX)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) We called LEGO and the Educational division has been shut down since the day after Thanksgiving for inventory. They won't be able to ship the cables to me in time for the Christmas party I was building this for. Grrrr. Bricklink shows some (...) (19 years ago, 30-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, FTX)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) If it were me, I'd destroy one small LEGO 9v wire. Cut the wire in half, and splice in a long segment of speaker wire. That would look better than a short layout, or the battery-powered train. Steve (19 years ago, 30-Nov-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)

(...) (URL) (...) I bought some alligator clips to use with some 24-guage wire. I'll become impure just this once, but I won't resort to willful LEGO destruction. :) (19 years ago, 1-Dec-05, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, FTX)