 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1832
Re: Help me convert this train program to use events (NQC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:20:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Steve Lane wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   For Christmas I’m setting up a LEGO train on top of a narrow wall, so it has to operate like a shuttle -- stop at each end and reverse motor direction. My first attempt had a train regulator attached to a polarity switch, with the switch being turned by a stepper motor I rigged up controlled by an RCX. When the train reached a “station” it would hit a touch sensor and the RCX would pulse the stepper motor, reversing the track polarity. This version works as a prototype, but I don’t have enough cords to reach the touch sensors I would have put at each “station” in the full layout.

So now I’m going to power the train motor directly from an RCX that rides along as one of the cars. I’ll use light sensors on each end of the train to look for white tiles placed between the track rails at each “station.”

If the rcx is on the train why not mount touch sensors on the underside looking down. You could then attach small ramps to the track which would trigger the sensor. If you put the sensors on a spring loaded mounting you shouldn’t have problems with the ramp potentially lifting the wagon as well as triggering the sensor.

Steve

That was basically my plan if I couldn’t get the light sensors to work reliably. Based on Brian’s post I might go back to my original design, though.