 Robotics / 24346
  Re: self-propagating RCX program

(...) You're right. If it's possible to design a robot that can build a four piece duck, it must be possible to design a robot that can build a robot that can build other robots. How many parts can these robots have anyway? Maybe a couple hundred. (...) (19 years ago, 9-Sep-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: self-propagating RCX program

(...) I agree with you that it is probably not realistic, but that wont stop me having fun trying. I would like to build a robot that can build stuff, though I will probably not use the RCX to control it - something with many more outputs and (...) (19 years ago, 9-Sep-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: self-propagating RCX program

(...) I'm more optimistic. This is extremely challenging. We should really start with an assemling robot. There are experiences to gain first. Hope there are some of the mechanical gurus that help think about it. What about you guys Ferrari? Or (...) (19 years ago, 10-Sep-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: self-propagating RCX program

(...) The first step is to make a decent robot hand for manipulating bricks. that's not a humanoid hand, but one that handles Lego pieces well, yet is quite simple. The hand on my Pick and Place Robot is OK for handling 2xn bricks: (URL) was (...) (19 years ago, 10-Sep-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: self-propagating RCX program

Googling 5 minutes, and I found this one : (URL) (19 years ago, 10-Sep-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: self-propagating RCX program

(...) So the "raw materials" it's using are pre-built quarter-robot sub-assemblies and they connect together using magnets. It's not quite the impressive thing we've been thinking about. ---...--- Steve Baker ---...--- HomeEmail: (...) (19 years ago, 11-Sep-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: self-propagating RCX program

(...) Agreed. I was hoping for much, much more. Specificly, by this definition, I strongly doubt the claim that this is the "first ever" self-reproduction. Some of the mechanical models from a long time ago were similar in concept, but with a (...) (19 years ago, 13-Sep-05, to lugnet.robotics)