 Robotics / 24047
  Re: for robots and industry: BlueTooth bad, Zigbee good - thanks for response

(...) I should have made it more clear that all my BT remarks were in the context of use in the industrial or embedded spaces such as robotics where we get access to the hardware. Sure, millions of BT cell phones are shipping, but that's no help to (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: for robots and industry: BlueTooth bad, Zigbee good - thanks for response

I have watched this thread for a while, but not "joined in" as I am not personally familiar with implementing Bluetooth. However, I have a question about the assertion that Bluetooth necessarily requires high power consumption; How well do coin cell (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  BT headsets and...

(...) My remarks were made comparing the power use of advertised BT chips vs 900-MHz and 2.4 GHz RF chip sets based on what was available a couple of years ago. To answer your question about headsets, I will speculate since I don't really know. But (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: for robots and industry: BlueTooth bad, Zigbee good - thanks for response

Bruce, 1. True, Bluetooth is embedded in a lot of cellphones. But cellphones is not the only device that carries Bluetooth, as you already know. However, SonyEricsson has created the ROB1, which is a Linux robot that is controlled by Bluetooth, (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  BT in robotics

(...) I'd love to have my cell phone give me status and feedback from my robots. BT isn't the only way to do this, of course, and using the cellular data capability of the phone would allow connecting from around the world, not just within 10 (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: BT in robotics

Bruce, 1. Yeah, SonyEricsson is very serious about their Linux robot 2. How else (other than Bluetooth) could you send data from your cellphone to your robot? IR isn't an ideal solution, since a lot of phones don't support it. 3. I created the (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: BT in robotics

(...) Use the data capability of the phone to set up their equivalent of an IP connection. On my TMobile phone this is painfully slow, under 100 kbits at best, often less than 50 kbits, even when literally next door to a cell. I did some tests with (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Some BT modules?

Some more googling reveals some possible BT embedded modules: (URL) From the above page: EmbeddedBlue brings the benefits of Bluetooth technology to all embedded systems from low power 8-bit micros to the latest 32-bit processor powerhouses. With (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: BT in robotics

Bruce, 1. TMobile does have a flat rate for data at $19 /mo 2. Is there really interest anymore in RS-232 Bluetooth modules? I used to have a conact at BlueUnplugged.com and he was almost willing to give them away, because they weren't selling. 3. (...) (19 years ago, 5-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Some BT modules?

Bruce, Let's keep the communication up, because collaboration and synergy is always better than working alone. Bruce (...) (19 years ago, 5-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: BT in robotics

(...) That's happened since we got our office contract. I'll check into it, thanks. If it's $19 for as much as you can stand to use, that's not so bad. We were paying $10-$20 for a couple of megabytes per month. But the phones are so slow I don't (...) (19 years ago, 5-Jun-05, to lugnet.robotics)