 Robotics / 23959
Re: Analysis of robot behaviours?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2005 21:11:58 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
On Sun, May 1, 2005 12:42 pm, Johan Hjertman said:
But first little info about the robots. There are two robots, one is the prey (3
bump sensors, 1 rotation sensor) that just drive around and try to avoid things
and it has a lamp on it. The other one is the hunter(2 bump sensors and 2 light
sensors). It avoid things and try to follow the prey. ...

My question is really how do I evaluate the robots behaviour after I´ve run the
program, so I can see if it helps for example if I change the learning rate for
the neural network or if I change the sensors position.

I would think you'll want to run some controlled tests.  For example, dis-connect
the motors on the prey, and see how long it takes the hunter to "catch" it.  Try
several positions, then make your changes, and try the positions again, to see how
that helps or hurts the result.  (takes more or less time)

Once you can see how changes affect the result, you'll be able to better understand
how to evaluate it's behavior.

Steve

Actually this is a bit of a minefield - the performance of your predator ANN
depends on your prey ANN and vice versa. You will have to run controlled tests
but I think the evaluation criteria is up to you - length of time to
intercept/avoid the prey/predator, efficiency of movement (a big deal in the
wild), whether the predator is getting the right time between 'feeds', which is
defined by you. Maybe you will have to run a series of tests. To evaulate the
predator, select and stick with the same ANN for the prey then prioritise the
predator criteria, assign each a weight and use this to give each ANN a score.

Thomas