 Robotics / 23840
  GPS Reality?

Is the idea of a GPS sensor compatible to the sensor ports an absurd idea? I have a few old Garmin units, with RS232 ports on them. I know of people who have incorporated these units successfully into "real" robots, but that usually involves heavy (...) (19 years ago, 7-Apr-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: GPS Reality?

(...) It's probably possible - making an infra-red transmitter to sit on the GPS side would get you there if the GPS could be made to run at a low enough baud rate. Alternatively, you could modify the RCX to take in RS-232 directly...but that's (...) (19 years ago, 9-Apr-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: GPS Reality?

Its worth pointing out that there has been recent discussions on the DPRG list about small scale location - a discussion which started off on GPS. I think it has now progressed to a system combining three sonar beacons, which are broadcast a radio (...) (19 years ago, 10-Apr-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: GPS Reality?

(...) Is anyone familiar with the old Nintendo PowerGlove hardware? It did crude 3D triangulation based on a pair of pulsed ultrasonic emitters and a triad of receivers in a known (fixed) configuration. I have a couple of PowerGloves, but never came (...) (19 years ago, 10-Apr-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: GPS Reality?

(...) Yep! Also known as "the short range navigation problem". Everyone from DARPA to DoD to every would-be maker of a reliable automated lawn mowing system wants this. It is an amazingly hard problem which I graple with on a day to day basis as my (...) (19 years ago, 10-Apr-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: GPS Reality?

(...) Humans and most animals have evolved to solve this navigation problem. The result isn't 100% perfect (as anyone who ever got lost walking in the woods will tell you). They use their eyes and a continually updatable mental map. That's the ideal (...) (19 years ago, 11-Apr-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: GPS Reality?

I think by setting many mini Darpa challenges, we can set the larger hobbyist community on it, and somebody is bound to come up with some crazy yet neat solution we havent yet. As I see it - even if nobody actually hit the goals, by awarding the (...) (19 years ago, 11-Apr-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: GPS Reality?

(...) I'll have to look, I think someone developed one way back then.. however.. there is always the $15-$30 P5 USB Glove which is pretty nice... (URL) guys might be able to help with that Seiral interface (URL) a Google or other search.. the data (...) (19 years ago, 11-Apr-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: GPS Reality?

But using a GPS's simple bearing and distance would work almost flawlessly. The accuracy number only reflects that the unit knows that the user is in a circle of that radius. However, the unit knows exactly how far you've gone, if not where you are. (...) (19 years ago, 12-Apr-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: GPS Reality?

"Steve Baker" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:4259F6E0.708040...ail.net... (...) where (...) I know of a group of students at the university in my town that have solved this GPS problem for a limited area. But it also have the (...) (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.robotics)