 Robotics / 23850
Re: GPS Reality?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:14:14 GMT

Danny Staple wrote:
Its worth pointing out that there has been recent discussions on the DPRG
list about small scale location - a discussion which started off on GPS. I
think it has now progressed to a system combining three sonar beacons,
which are broadcast a radio ping, and then transmit each of their signals.
The bot controller than uses the time difference between the request radio
ping, and the sonar reply to work out its position.

Location on a small scale looks to be a fairly awkward problem...

   Is anyone familiar with the old Nintendo PowerGlove hardware? It did crude 3D
triangulation based on a pair of pulsed ultrasonic emitters and a triad of receivers in a
known (fixed) configuration.

   I have a couple of PowerGloves, but never came up with a decent controller. There was a
design called the PGSI that had a microcontroller and could stream coordinates to a serial
port.

--
      Chris 'Xenon' Hanson | Xenon @ 3D Nature | http://www.3DNature.com/
  "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs,