 Robotics / 23790
RE: caster wheel design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 03:19:47 GMT

On this topic, I know it's been asked before, but...

Is there a formula for the optimal offset of the caster wheel's axle from
the pivot point?

BTW, the relatively new 3u pin without friction
(http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x202) plus the freestyle wheels
(http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6248) or model team wheels
(http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2695) make a nice two-wheel caster with a
minimum of parts.

--Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of
Patrick Levy
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 4:00 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: caster wheel design

Thanks everybody for the answers, but i think i will give up with the
caster... The robot will be very heavy... i think it wont work.. I will go
to a synchro drive aproach...

Thanks.

Patrick

"Patrick Levy" <omiccron@uol.com.br> escreveu na mensagem
Hi,

I´m tring to build a robot that may use a caster wheel, But i am
running some serious problemes in it design. If I use an axle or pin
for the • caster,
it will bend. (the robot is quite heavy). So i tried to use a
turntable as • a
caster axle, but for some reason, it also did not work (the caster
does • not
turn somootly.).

Does anybody have some tips for good caster design?

Thanks

Patrick