 Robotics / 23775
Re: caster wheel design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:55:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Patrick Levy wrote:

If I use an axle or pin for the caster, it will
bend. (the robot is quite heavy).

   How heavy is this? A caster needs an offset, but making this offset as small
as possible should reduce bending. I usually use a medium pulley on a #3 axle;
either end of the axle is held in the pin hole of a Technic crossblack, while
short (#4?) axles in the axle holes of the crossblocks run up & into a pair of
1x3 lift-arms (the half-width type with axle holes at either end). The central
pin hole of these two 1x3 liftarms can then serve as the rotation point.

So i tried to use a turntable as a caster axle,
but for some reason, it also did not work (the
caster does not turn somootly.).

   If you use a small turntable (2x2), with the caster wheel very slightly
offset, perhaps. But with the large turntable, you're likely trying to use a
large offset - this makes sense, as it would produce a lot of torque to try to
pivot the caster. But it will also tend to bind up one side of the turntable,
which may be your problem.

--
Brian Davis