 Robotics / 23779
Re: caster wheel design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:55:51 GMT

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:27:21 GMT, Dean Hystad <dean.hystad@mts.com> wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Patrick Levy wrote:
Hi,

I´m tring to build a robot that may use a caster wheel, But i am running
some serious problemes in it design. If I use an axle or pin for the caster,
it will bend. (the robot is quite heavy). So i tried to use a turntable as a
caster axle, but for some reason, it also did not work (the caster does not
turn somootly.).

Does anybody have some tips for good caster design?

Thanks

Patrick

Another "microcaster" is the style used in "ERBIE the Robocar"
discussed here http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=13601&t=i&v=a made
with a 2x2 turntable, a 2x3 plate, and a single wheel
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ffaat/stuff/microcaster.jpg

This works surprisingly well, so long as 1) The weight isn't huge and
2) the surface isn't too rough.  Call it half way between a skid plate
and a full size caster :)

-Rob A>