 Robotics / 23216
Re: Servo Motor Control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:01:02 GMT

"Dick Swan" <dickswan@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

You don't need to use servos. If you've got a rotation sensor and a
spare sensor port, you can get extremely fine position control with the
new firmware. I've got a small PID control demo using the new firmware
using a motor and rotation sensor. The PID program smoothly accelerates
and decelerates the motor to reach any desired rotation count value. It
works without any overshoot!  I've geared the rotation sensor 1:5 so
that I get 80 counts per revolution of the main shaft. The motor is
connected to the shaft with 1:1 gearing. I get position accuracy within
one count with the shaft rotating at 5 revolutions per second (i.e. full
motor speed). A practical application would surely gear the shaft down .
I suspect this is far finer resolution than you can get with a SERVO. I
hope to post a video of this soon.

Dick,

I am very eager to see this!  For a long time, I've been trying to do
exactly this with limited success.  Can you elaborate a bit on what you did
code-wise to achieve this?

    Iain